1. Can you go Without Social Media?
Is there such a thing as being addicted to the internet? What about to social media?
Some questions to help prompt discussion:
- When you think of the various types of addiction, do you think of the internet? Why or why not?
- Do you think someone can become addicted to social media?
- Do you think you’re addicted to social media?
- What social media site(s) are you checking every few minutes because you can’t stand to miss something?
- How do you think someone can become addicted to a social media site(s)?
- Do you think this addiction is healthy? Or is it mainly unhealthy?
- What do you do when you’re in the middle of a conversation with a friend and they check a social media site while you’re still talking? How does it make you feel?
- Can you go a week without social media? 48hrs? 24hrs?
As a class determine an acceptable amount of time that they can all agree will be social media free.
2. Short Story: Before Social Media
Write a short story about life before social media. Some questions for students to consider: What year will your story be set in? What did people do with their time before social media? How did people communicate? How did news spread so fast?