What is online literacy? Why is it a crucial skill to have?
Discuss these questions and the following:
- Would you call yourself online literate? How so?
- Why is it important to have strong online literacy skills?
- Can you name some online literacy skills (ex. checking for a reputable source)
- How do you determine if a piece of information on social media is factual?
- Why is it important to have strong online literacy skills when using social media?
In groups, design and produce a social media literacy or online literacy toolkit.
Some items that you may wish to include in your toolkit:
- A list of reputable sources
- Definitions of the new literacies (social media, digital, online, information etc…)
- Do’s and Don’ts
- Examples where online literacy skills were needed
- Tips on critical and analytical thinking
- A list of sites to avoid