A NOTE ON CONTENT
The main character, Max, misses his grandmother, his Lola, who has died, and goes on a journey to visit her in the Underworld. While her death is not directly mentioned nor detailed, the fact that she has died is implied and serves as the basis of Max’s journey. The plot culminates when he finds his grandmother in the Underworld and they are reunited in a warm moment. Max’s Lola explains to him that she cannot leave with him to the Land of the Living, but that she lives on in his memories of her and the stories she told him. It is to be noted that the Underworld consists mainly of a beach filled with mango trees (reflecting the childhood memories of Max’s grandmother), a coconut grove and a courtyard. None of the characters “look dead” or “look zombie-like”.
* Also, please note that there are loud sounds in some parts of the play that may startle more sensitive ears.
Excerpt of when Max is reunited with his Lola.
Just close your eyes, think of me and I will be there. The stories, the memories will come alive. Whenever you forget something, let your imagination take over and it will help you remember, like tonight – you were thinking about me and your imagination took you here, to the places I showed you in my photos. Look – it’s almost sunrise. It’s time for you to go home. I love you, Anak.
Lola, I love you forever.
Helping young students dealing with grief
If a child in your class appears distressed during the topic of loss, please speak to the school counsellor.
Helping young students dealing with fear/anxiety
If a child in your class appears distressed during the topic of fear/anxiety, please speak to the school counsellor.
Help Children Manage Fears by The Child Mind Institute
English Language Arts
- Uses language/talk to communicate and to learn
- Reads and listens to written, spoken and media texts
- Produces texts for personal and social purposes
- Uses information
- Exercises critical judgment
- Uses creativity
- Adopts effective work methods
- Uses information and communications technologies
- Cooperates with others
- Communicates appropriately
Arts Education - Dramatic Arts Competencies
- Creates dramatic works
- Performs dramatic works
- Appreciates dramatic works
- To invent and interpret short scenes